An anime club becomes friends and makes an anime.
I started this with very low expectations. And WTF, how did it turn out so good?
It feels from the setup like a show we’ve seen a million times before. But it’s not. I think a lot of it is that Animegataris is always conscious of the anime tropes it’s making use of, and is constantly making fun of itself and other anime. It does so, however, with an enormous love and a great deal of respect for all the things it’s making fun of. The tone of the show balances a similar divide, where it is goofy and ridiculous, but simultaneously you are led to treat the characters and their struggles with sympathy and understanding.
Then, for the ending they decide to go batshit crazy. And it was amazing.
I love anime like this which take all my expectations and completely shatter them.
- Storytelling – A – Amazingly done.
- Voice – A – What style and what a unique mood.
- Characters – B – Pretty solid, although simplistic.
- Attention Grab – B – Kept my attention throughout.
- Production – B – Looks fine, maybe a bit weak animation at times.
- Overall – B+