I’m already covering Sword Art Online and Mahouka, which both air on Saturday. I’m pretty sure I’m going to pick up Aldnoah Zero, which also airs on Saturday. I’ll also pick one or two more. I’m leaning towards Tokyo Ghoul and / or Zankyou no Terror. Thoughts? Don’t pick your favorite shows, pick something you’d like to see me write about.
I’m also planning to continue Week in Anime posts anything else I want to talk about this season. A few other things I’m planning to do: 1) write some posts about my trip to Asia and Japan, 2) season end and start posts, 3) write up a post about the manga I’m currently reading. If I forget / continue to be a lazy bum, please pester me.
Normally I don’t watch dramas. All the ones I’d seen parts of before were crap. But the other week a friend of mine suggested I give this show called “Hanzawa Naoki” a try. It was only ten episodes, so I figured why not. In the worst case, I could later elucidate her on why she has shit taste.
Anyway, the lesson is, if all your friends jump off a bridge, you’d better hurry up and join them. Hanzawa Naoki is AMAZING. Continue reading
It’s been nearly three years since I updated my list of favorite anime. I figure it’s about time. A few notes:
- This list is only for TV anime, not movies or OVAs. In case I never get around to writing posts on those (a highly likely scenario) my favorite movies are Whisper of the Heart followed by A Place Promised in Our Early Days followed by a bunch of Miyazaki movies and the Haruhi movie. My favorite OVA is Detroit Metal City, followed by Diebuster.
- My tastes are pretty varied, I feel, although sci-fi, fantasy, and horror are each heavily represented. The two things that draw most of these shows together are strong characterizations and creative settings.
- If you want to compare the changes, here is the original list.
- Take the rankings with a grain of salt. The difference between #31 and #32 is approximately nothing.
- If anyone’s wondering why Bokurano isn’t on my list, it’s because I haven’t watched it yet. Once I watch Bokurano I will have no good anime to look forward to and will have no need to ever watch anime again.
- If anyone’s wondering why Narutaru isn’t on my list, it’s because it sucked. Except the OP. That was pretty darn good.
- This list is objectively accurate, and anyone who disagrees is WRONG. It’s not like the order would have been completely different if I wrote it yesterday instead.
Without further ado, here it is: the list of my favorite 50 anime.
The Count of Monte Cristo, anime version. Everything that made the original Count of Monte Cristo so great, except it also looks pretty. Oh, and with mecha and traps. Of course. It is anime, after all. Continue reading
I successfully defended my thesis today. I now have a Ph.D.!
As usual, I will do whatever I feel like despite asking what I should blog next season. Pick your top three and try to convince me in the comments.
I should warn everyone that the next season will be pretty hectic for me in real life. The next two or three weeks I will likely fall behind due to work. In addition, I will be traveling in Asia for all of June and will not be blogging anything then. I have a bunch of posts saved up for the trip though.
If anyone is in Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore, or Japan, let me know! Any travel advice for where to go in Japan is also appreciated. I’ll be spending a few days in Okinawa, then flying to Kagoshima, and flying out of Tokyo two weeks later. The rest of the Japan leg of the trip is completely open so please give me suggestions!