Ouma Shuu, a normal, average boy is lonely and has the hots for a pop idol, Inori. He sees her being chased by some robots, and he rescues her by pulling a giant sword out of her bosom. Ouma Shuu, intent on
getting into Inori’s pants freeing Japan, joins the terrorist cell she’s a member of and fights the good fight. None would guess that later, Shuu will become both a ruthless dictator and the savior of the world.
Ah, Guilty Crown. It was supposed to be the greatest show of all time, combining the staff of Death Node and Code Geass for an anime original story. It would even be animated by Production IG! Surely, this would be noitaminA’s finest hour. The savior of anime.
This is why I don’t write season previews (heck, I already humiliate myself enough as it is). Of course, Guilty Crown didn’t go as planned, aside from the excellent animation by Production IG. What went wrong?
Honestly, I have no idea. This wasn’t just bad. It was hilariously bad.
The plot developments were ridiculous. I won’t try to spoil any specific ones, but see my weekly posts for the juicy details (and for some beautiful music).
I couldn’t care less about the characters. Ouma Shuu is one of the worst characters I’ve ever seen. He’s completely empty, not to mention inconsistent. One day he almost dies to save his best friend, the next day he attempts to murder him, the day after they’re best friends again. I’m not making this up. Shuu makes Mitt Romney look consistent. And Inori is basically a sex doll.
In short, I don’t think they could have made this much worse if they tried. The animation’s pretty, but a beautiful portrait of fecal matter is still a piece of shit.
- Storytelling – F – Awful. Inconsistent, silly and pointless.
- Voice – F – It had a voice persistently reminding me that this is the dumbest show ever. Like when they insert pieces from the Nutcracker and ballet dancing while missiles are going off.
- Characters – F – Ouma Shuu is in the running for worst character of all time.
- Attention Grab – B – It’s like a train wreck: you can’t take your eyes off it.
- Production – B – It’s well produced, just well produced crap.
- Overall – F
Recommendations (if you didn’t like Guilty Crown) – Code Geass, Evangelion