Note: I’m in Los Angeles for Anime Expo this weekend, so I’ll be behind on new season impressions. I come back on Monday.
The demon king is defeated and escapes to the human world. He begins his path to world domination as a McDonald’s employee.
Hataraku Maou-sama is a comedy where most of the jokes center on the characters from a fantasy world living in our own. The demon king becomes a McDonald’s employee, the hero works in a call center, the chief general is a stay at home husband, and Lucifer is a NEET. With these kinds of shows there’s always the danger the jokes will become overused, but the humor and the setup manage to stay fresh throughout the series. The other fear is that the creators will try to include some sort of half-assed serious story. Hataraku Maou-sama does do this, but they remember to keep the focus on the jokes so it works out all right.
In short, it’s funny. Go watch it.
- Storytelling – A – Excellent sense of humor.
- Voice – B – Nothing we’ve never seen before, but delivers it better than anything else.
- Characters – B – Great except for Chiho who is pretty annoying.
- Attention Grab – B – Retained my interest throughout. Only a few hiccups when discussing whether or not Maou is actually a bad person.
- Production – B – Looks fine but nothing remarkable.
- Overall – B+