Ririchihyo decides to strike out from home onto her own, and moves into the Ayakashi Kan, a house where demons gather. There she is assigned a secret service agent, Miketsukami, to guard her, and begins to make friends with the other residents.
This show is easily separable into things I liked and things I didn’t like, so I think I’ll make lists of pros and cons.
- Ririchihyo. Her aggressive attitude keeps everyone on their toes. And those legs!
- Karuta (shown above with lobster). She is too cute, and always eating!
- Karuta and Watanuki. Gyahh! Karuta is such a tease. And poor Watanuki is led around so easily.
- The other side characters. We have raging lesbians, a cool older friend, a badass bartender, an SM fanatic, and more. They certainly keep things interesting.
- Comedy. We have an entire episode devoted to labeling inanimate objects as S and M, and an ED with Karuta eating sweets. When it wants to, this show knows how to make you laugh.
- Costumes. Half of this show is an excuse to play dress up with the characters. I enjoyed this aspect of the show greatly, it’s much more interesting having characters who do laundry.
- Ririchihyo. Her attitude and her signature “Hmph!” do start to get stale after a while.
- Miketsukami. Although he improves slightly toward the end, he spends most of the series being a subservient wet rag for Ririchihyo to step on.
- Ririchihyo and Miketsukami. I just can’t see this relationship working, nor do I particularly care about it.
- Melodrama. Teenage girls worrying about not having friends, worrying if boys who obviously do like them or not, and more. Yawn….
To summarize, I liked all the show’s bells and whistles, but not the main story itself or the relationship between the two main characters.
- Storytelling – C – The storytelling was great, but the story itself was so-so.
- Voice – B - Manage to make the show unique with the costumes, S+M, etc.
- Characters – C – Not a fan of the main pair, but the rest were excellent.
- Attention Grab – B – I dozed off for the melodrama, but was hooked for the rest.
- Production – B – Looks good.
- Overall – C+
Recommendations – Otome Youkai Zakuro, Hayate no Gotoku