The successive heirs of the Joestar family fight against the power of the stone mask in a series of bizarre adventures.
This show is great. This is how you make fighting actually interesting. Don’t just have lots of beam-spamming or power ups as in recent Gundams. Don’t have people getting saved by the power of friendship and all that crap. Jojo makes fights interesting because there’s both an element of intrigue and bizarreness to them.The show first takes your interest by making the setup so weird its something you’ve never seen before. It then retains that interest by pulling ridiculous scheme after ridiculous scheme to keep the fight exciting and fresh. Every other anime that focuses on fighting would be well served to learn from Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure.
I also have to say that I love the style the show employs. It’s like they took it straight out of the pages of the manga and put it in animated form. They even retain the stylistic features unique to manga such as written onomatopoeia. Normally pausing to explain things in the middle of a fight looks really dumb, but this “manga style” actually makes these explanations sound cool. It also helps that the narrator is super pumped-up about everything and delivers half his lines by screaming. So awesome. The art has a very distinctive feel to it as well.
Go watch it if you haven’t already.
- Storytelling – A – This is how you make fighting interesting.
- Voice – A+ – Great distinctive manga style.
- Characters – A – Second Jojo and Speedwagon are the best. Everyone is cool though, you come to like even the villains. Also this is probably the only series where you will be jumping up and down cheering for the Nazis.
- Attention Grab – A – Never disappointed, even for the lengthy battles.
- Production – A – Looks great, with very enthusiastic voice actors.
- Overall – A-
Recommendations – Tengen Toppa Gurrren Lagann, Needless