God has left the world. People can’t die anymore. Ai is a gravekeeper who buries the dead and allows them to die for real. She travels around the world with some friends.
This is a tough series for me to review. By most metrics, Kamisama no Inai deserves a terrible rating. It appears to have no idea where it’s headed, just telling a series of mostly unconnected short stores. The setting often makes no sense (why are there schools in a post-apocalyptic wasteland when children have ceased to be born…?). The main character is a loli whose main personality trait is being too nice to everyone. The list goes on and on.
And yet… after almost every single arc… this show managed to make me break down in tears. Like, seriously bawling my eyes out, at least in the first two arcs. The last arc was the weakest, but still delivered a strong emotional reaction. Maybe I’ve just become a wuss in my old age. But I still have to give this show credit for delivering such a strong emotional reaction. Kamisama no Inai is more than the sum of its parts. I kind of regret not blogging this.
- Storytelling – B – I don’t know how this works, but it leaves me in tears at the end of each arc. Otherwise I would say the storytelling isn’t very good…
- Voice – A – Very interesting setting, seeing how things change if people don’t stay dead.
- Characters – C – Ai is dumb. Most of the other characters show up for one arc and then are useless dead weight for the rest of the show.
- Attention Grab – B – Kept my interest.
- Production – D – Pretty bad. Awful color scheme as well.
- Overall – B-