Sea people fall in love.
A drama with lots of people worrying about each other’s feelings. And it’s pretty enjoyable! The characters are likable (except for Manaka) and the drama is compelling, and only slightly overwrought.
But the best thing about this show is the big twist halfway through. I won’t spoil it, but it’s great. It throws everything off base and leaves you supporting pairings you would never have expected in a million years. This is a great show for shipping.
In summary, ALL MY FEELS. It’s a tearjerker… but an enormous improvement over all the other recent PA Works shows except Uchouten Kazoku. Finally the pretty pictures are used for something worthwhile.
- Storytelling – B – Great twist. Lots of drama.
- Voice – B – The most unique part is the twist. But so is the half-underwater setting. It allows
- Characters – B – Manaka is a sack of potatoes. But otherwise the characters are great. Hikari in particular grows greatly over time. (Yet remains stupid.)
- Attention Grab – B – Always kept my interest, but had to watch multiple episodes in one sitting.
- Production – A – Excellent. Some spectacular landscapes in particular. Good use of lighting.
- Overall – B+
Recommendations – True Tears, Sakamichi no Appollon, Kimikiss