The MMO game becomes real! Except this time there’s only one human and he is an evil skeletal overlord that decides to conquer the world.
I quite liked this, actually. There’s just something about an evil skeletal overlord that rides into battle on a hamster. And thematically it was quite interesting, with the focus on someone who played an MMO but all his friends have quit, and he’s trapped in a world where he’s the only human and everything he sees reminds him of his friends.
It does lose focus a bit (the part in the middle where he went adventuring was especially out of place). But overall, Overlord is a big improvement over the other recent MMO games. Compared to Log Horizon, it doesn’t get bogged down in so many details and remains much more fun. And unlike SAO, it isn’t bad porn.
My biggest complaint is that the show didn’t seem to get too far into the story.
- Storytelling – B – Some arcs were out of place.
- Voice – B – Love the “evil” main character.
- Characters – B – The main guy is great, the underlings are perhaps too obedient to be that interesting.
- Attention Grab – B – One of the shows I anticipated most this season.
- Production – B – Looks fine.
- Overall – B