A school robotics club builds a robot… and saves the world.
Robotics; Notes is based on a visual novel by the same people who made Chaos; Head and Steins; Gate. I’ll be brief: I didn’t like it. The show doesn’t know where it’s going and it takes forever to get there.
The first half of the show is just the club doing normal high school things, while there were signs of some evil crazy conspiracy in the background. At first, I wanted to see more of the conspiracies and was frustrated that so much time was wasted on video games and club activities.
Then, about midway through, I finally got to like some of the characters (well, one of the characters, more on that later). Then, once I’d decided to treat the show as a slice of life harem, Robotics; Notes immediately ditched the entire supporting cast in favor of the conspiracies it’d completely neglected up until that point. And the conspiracies turned out to be, frankly, stupid.
It was frustrating because they spent all this time in the first half of the show building up all these characters, who they turned around and forgot about. Essentially none of the characters’ personal problems are resolved by the series’ end (or even mentioned again). Karate girl is useless. Mr. Mysterio is useless. Nae is useless. Frau is useless (even though I love her.) No one but Akiho and Kai, the two main characters, has more than a token role in the ending. Robotics; Notes consisted of a slow, slow buildup that I wanted to skip through, with absolutely no payoff in the end.
- Storytelling – D – Directionless, slow and at times bizarre (in a bad way).
- Voice – F – They claim to like robots?
- Characters – D – I liked Frau, but they didn’t know what to do with her. Aki started out with a great character but she didn’t grow at all. The rest start out OK but end up useless, except for Kai who is a sack of potatoes.
- Attention Grab – F – You may have noticed that this comes out on Thursdays and I never wrote about it until Monday. There’s a reason.
- Production – B – Meh, looks fine.
- Overall – D
Recommendations – Steins; Gate