Our heroes fight monsters with the power of song.
Ok, so this was dumb. Very dumb. But this is my kind of dumb!
Unlike, say, Guilty Crown, the creators realize the story is dumb. And so they have fun with it. This show has explosions, ridiculousness and yuri galore. They sing, blow shit up, yell and scream, and throw chunks of the moon around in space. It’s dumb but it manages to be a hell of a lot of fun at the same time. This was actually one of my favorite shows of the season (although that isn’t saying much).
The characters are likably badass. Especially the red-headed guy, who could fight against monsters with superhuman strength for no apparent reason. I also liked the relationship between Hibiki (the main character) and her friend, and how Tsubasa grew over the death of her friend.
I actually liked the music, too, which was kind of a surprise for me.
But really I liked this show because it’s just a lot of fun, rational thought be damned.
- Storytelling – B – This show knows how to have fun!
- Voice – B – Distinctively ridiculous.
- Characters – C – Hibiki was kind of dull to be honest, but I liked the rest.
- Attention Grab – B – It kept my attention for most of it, although a few of the school parts less so.
- Production – B – Surprisingly decent soundtrack.
- Overall – B
Recommendations – Mai Otome (I liked Mai Otome, ok?! Screw all you haters, Mashiro is the best, she deserved her own show, albeit a better one, but beggars can’t be choosers), Macross Frontier