Space Dandy is a dandy in space.
I heard this was by the guy who made Samurai Champloo and Cowboy Bebop, and I originally wasn’t all that interested. I never liked either of those much.
But Space Dandy didn’t end up being much like those at all. It was episodic, but every episode is totally different. It was very experimental and creative, especially in regards to the animation.
The quality differed by episode, but many of them were extremely entertaining. That high school musical episode… oh my god.
All of it is tied together by some rather original characters in Dandy, Meowth, and QT. They’re very… how do I say this… un-Japanese? Dandy isn’t concerned about courtesy or politeness, and isn’t reserved at all. It’s very refreshing.
- Storytelling – B – Excellent short stories. Some people are fascinated by the meta-story as well but I didn’t pay much attention to it.
- Voice – A – Unique style, which even is often unique per episode.
- Characters – A – Very different from the usual anime characters.
- Attention Grab – C – A few episodes lost my interest. And since it was episodic, I felt less excited to watch the next episode, and was permanently behind.
- Production – A – Great animation, especially for a few episodes.
- Overall – B
Recommendations – Cowboy Bebop, Gintama, FLCL (really nothing like it though)