A boy becomes a flesh-eating ghoul.
I was disappointed by Tokyo Ghoul because it didn’t turn out as I expected. Based on the first episode, I thought it was going to be a horror show along the lines of Shiki where people become monsters and are forced to kill their neighbors. However, it ended up being more along the lines of a shounen battle manga. People have superpowers and fight with them. Just one side happens to eat human flesh. Nothing wrong with that, just not what I went in expecting. Ok, to be fair, it’s more of a seinen battle manga, it’s certainly not targeted for children. A bit more intelligent, but the same general idea.
It had some fun fights, it was great seeing the main character develop (the final episode in particular was amazing), and I liked how it showed us both the perspective of the humans and the ghouls.
My biggest complaint? The stupid loli. Totally useless except for crying too much and getting people killed.
Also, Touka is hot.
- Storytelling – B – The loli arc was annoying, but otherwise enjoyable. Needs a second season!
- Voice – B – Unique battle aesthetic.
- Characters – B – Great except for the loli.
- Attention Grab – A – Kept my interest throughout.
- Production – B – Looks good!
- Overall – B-