A boy and his monster friend fight monsters.
The fighting parts were good, not too long and a pretty good diversity. Plus the emphasis was not really on the fighting. Usually each arc would involve Ushio meeting a few people / youkai and helping them out.
And that was probably my biggest issue. There were too many side characters and I couldn’t keep track of them. Only a few (mainly biker dude) had much of an impact. I suppose the main focus was on Ushio and Tora, and these characters were only intended to bolster them. But it ended up being more of a distraction. Although most of the side stories were better than the main story, which was a “everyone work together and don’t be afraid!!!” type thing. The usual.
The best part of the show was easily Tora. A pretty simple character, but solid development and consistent throughout the show’s run. Ushio on the other hand was more or less your typical shounen protagonist. Except with lots of crying. Manly tears, I guess? Whatever.
- Storytelling – C – Too many sidestories…
- Voice – B – I did like the style, especially for the animation.
- Characters – C – Tora was great, the rest not so great.
- Attention Grab – D – Dragged on much too long. I lost interest.
- Production – B – Looks fine. Style was very old-school.
- Overall – C
Recommendations – Hunter X Hunter, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood