A perverted virgin gathers a harem to power his giant robot so he can become the shogun.
It sounds pretty dumb and it is. But I was actually impressed. Based on how much budget this had, I think it did pretty well. This is barely animated, and looks like it was made in Flash. But despite that, it still looks pretty nice. It doesn’t animate everything (mostly it’s still artwork sliding around), but it’s consistent in the amount it does animate, and does so to a good effect. Plus the artwork is good. It even makes for some decent fanservice, which is impressive given the animation. It all goes to show that it’s not about how much money you have, but about how you use it.
That said, it is a harem which mostly follows a girl / villain of the week format. The male lead is obsessed with girls but breaks out in hives when they touch him. All the female characters fall in love with the male lead with no apparent reason. Some things in anime will never change… Dai Shogun also falls for the classic mistake of the creators changing gears at the end when they decide they need to have some serious story, forgetting what made the show enjoyable in the first place. The last few episodes ditches all the fanservice in favor of this story, which is completely worthless.
- Storytelling – D – Excellent use of the limitations of the chosen animation style. Just not the greatest story, and it focused only on the story at the end.
- Voice – C – Again, the animation style makes this one unique.
- Characters – F – Crappy harem characters.
- Attention Grab – C – Good fanservice, which is impressive given the animation.
- Production – B – Very low budget, but very well-used.
- Overall – D