Issei continues on his quest to build a harem.
So yeah, this show is basically porn. And yes, I like it. Can’t wait for a third season.
What makes this show so great? My enjoyment derives mainly from the fact that High School DxD has a great sense of humor and likes to make fun of itself. It’s funny, unlike pretentious porn like Bakemonogatari or porn porn like Queen’s Blade.
Both the fantasy story and the nudity serve in service of the humor. For example, Issei continually powers up. What this entails is that his signature move, “Dress Break,” gains in power. The moves’ effects are much like one would imagine.
What’s new in the second season? A vampiric shota trap. He’s great. Also a new ally / villain / mentor who is nearly as big a pervert as Issei. A couple new people join the harem as well, of course.
Watch it. You’ll like it. Unless you’re a prude. Or maybe a girl. Maybe.
- Storytelling – B – Makes gratuitous nudity more amusing than it has any right to be.
- Voice – B – Fantasy setting plus pervertedness.
- Characters – B – Issei is a way better character than any harem protagonist has any right to be.
- Attention Grab – B – Both the humor and the story itself kept my interest.
- Production – C – Not too impressive. Still solid animation though.
- Overall – B