As far as I can recall, this is the single worst anime I have ever watched. And I watch a shitload of crappy anime. Mahouka has made me realize how much worse they could actually be. Even with shows like Sword Art Online and Guilty Crown, which were so stupid as to boggle belief, I could understand how someone could enjoy watching them. Hell, I enjoyed watching them and writing fanfiction. Those shows have some action and tension, even if they’re puerile pandering wish fulfillment.
Mahouka has nothing worthwhile to offer. Absolutely nothing. Well, okay, the author constantly inverts good and evil, which is kind of interesting to watch, albeit completely insane on a level far behind that of shows like Guilty Crown and SAO.
To attempt to sum up Mahouka’s myriad failures, the biggest issue is that about 75% of Mahouka’s screen time is devoted to two things:
- Praising Tatsuya’s godliness. A good deal of the show’s dialogue is similar to the above screenshot, except without such clever metaphors.
- Spouting meaningless babel. Every time anybody uses any magic, it has to be explained. Even if it’s completely fucking obvious what happened. Sometimes it needs to be explained multiple times in exactly the same way by multiple characters.
Needless to say, 75% of Mahouka is a complete waste of time.
As an example, consider the middle arc, the magical olympics. Every single episode of this arc (10? 8? don’t want to damage myself further by going back to check) is exactly the same.
- Some people talk about how Tatsuya is so awesome and made his school win the event last week.
- Tatsuya’s school has a wide lead but could potentially lose the olympics if they lose every single remaining event. The only reason they aren’t winning by more is due to evil Chinese terrorists.
- Some random girl needs Tatsuya’s help.
- People tell her how amazing Tatsuya is.
- Someone explains the magic people use for some stupid olympic event, such as magical surfboarding, magical ice cube melting, magical hula-hooping, or magical capture the flag.
- Tatsuya types something into a computer.
- Everyone talks about how amazing Tatsuya is.
- The girl holds her hand out and it lights up.
- Someone explains what amazing magic Tatsuya programmed into her computer.
- The girl wins.
- She tells Tatsuya how it’s all because of him and how amazing he is.
- All her friends tell Tatsuya it’s all because of him and how amazing he is.
Every single episode, but with a different girl and a different stupid sport.
I almost dropped the show during that arc.
Also, Mahouka is written by some right wing nut job. It glorifies war, violence, torture, and female submission. Mahouka openly comes out in favor of discrimination and opposed to equal opportunity. That was the reason I originally enjoyed watching the show, but sadly the moral insanity is quickly overshadowed by the atrocious storytelling and the show is wholly unwatchable.
My rating system doesn’t actually include an “F-“, but fuck, if anything deserves it, it’s Mahouka. Screw it.
- Storytelling – F – A fucking disaster.
- Voice – F – Some uniquely atrocious themes.
- Characters – F – A robot and horde of girls and boys who suck his cock all day.
- Attention Grab – F – God it’s boring.
- Production – C – Not nearly as bad as the rest.
- Overall – F-
Recommendations – Go watch Fox News, it’s significantly less openly evil and way more entertaining.