Best sports anime ever.
Damn that was good. It took the first season which ended very solidly and happily and began with the premise that not everything goes as planned. Coach died and Joe left home and became a drug addict. And it only got better from there with a very feel good redemption story. Megalo Box continues to take on timely and controversial topics which other anime are afraid to touch— in this case immigration, addiction, and technology— and does so in a thoughtful and engaging way.
Loved the tech bro villain especially.
I also loved seeing how everyone from the first season was changed, mostly for the better, after meeting Joe. I think my favorite was Yuri.
Everyone should watch this, regardless of any interest in boxing (I have zero, it is idiotic). The show speaks for itself.
- Storytelling – A – Superb, finely crafted, always with a purpose.
- Voice – A – Great northern Mexico vibe going on.
- Characters – A – Unforgettable.
- Attention Grab – A – Completely gripped me every episode.
- Production – A – Looks and sounds amazing.
- Overall – A-
Recommendations – Redline, Samurai Champloo