An alien raised as a warrior from childhood crash lands on Earth with his mecha and experiences a carefree life.
Gargantia’s biggest issue is that it meanders all over the place without focusing on where it’s headed. One episode is all about belly dancing. One is about the captain dying, and the new commander. A couple are about Amy’s brother. At one point we murder a bunch of babies. Yet none of this has much of an impact on the overall direction of the story. Even Amy (arguably the lead female character) is essentially useless dead weight for most of the show.
Gargantia does come to an excellent finale, fueled by the relationship between Ledo and Chamber, his robot. But the work as a whole falls flat because everything else is both poorly thought out and fails to contribute to the show’s main thrust.
- Storytelling – C – Meandering and unfocused.
- Voice – B – Cool setting. Could have been put to better use.
- Characters – C – Poorly developed aside from Ledo and Chamber.
- Attention Grab – B – Kept my interest throughout, although partially through ridiculousness.
- Production – B – Looks pretty. Some beautiful ships and backgrounds.
- Overall – C+
Recommendations – Turn A Gundam, Last Exile, Fractale (I don’t actually recommend Fractale, but it felt very similar)