Some classmates are locked in a school. The only way out is to murder a friend and get away with it at the trial.
Well, it was an interesting premise. It seems like the game has some good ideas behind it. Some, mind you. Most of it is just silly. Like how everyone has a long title, “Super Duper High School Blah.” Or how all of the characters seem to have bipolar disorder. The way they execute the losers at the trials is frankly disgusting.
I’ve never played the game, but I could still tell that this adaptation was sorely lacking. Lots of holdovers from the game, e.g., shooting “bullets” marked with evidence at the trial, made no sense and had no place in the anime. Furthermore, facts just seemed to appear from out of nowhere at the trials. The final trial was particularly horrendous. Essentially, the final boss just randomly decides to explain their evil plan to everyone. Ok…
That said, you can tell that if it didn’t skip over half the important details, the mysteries might be interesting. And the characters are likable, even if they all are caricatures with pronounced mental disorders.
- Storytelling – F – Terrible adaptation. Many useless carryovers from the game, skips important details.
- Voice – C – It does have a unique feel by shooting up absurdity to the max and with the odd game artifacts. Did not like the feel though.
- Characters – D – They all suddenly develop bipolar disorder at the drop of a hat.
- Attention Grab – C – Was curious to see what would happen next. Even if the road there wasn’t enjoyable at all.
- Production – D – Does not look pretty.
- Overall – D-
Recommendations – Higurashi, Umineko, Mirai Nikki