This is a side story to the original Saki, where are lesbian high school Mahjong hijinks continue but with a different cast of main characters.
The shows biggest problem is that the new cast of characters is weak. Everyone in the world of Saki has both some incredible quirk for playing Mahjong or some incredible personality deficit. For example, we have people who can see into the future, people who wear rabbit ears, and people who speak with ridiculous accents.
The original Saki’s main cast was the same. We have Nodoka with her crazy math skills and deformed body, Saki with her crazy powers, and taco girl. Not boring. Not at all.
But Achiga-hens characters bring nothing interesting to the table. They are all lifeless. The craziest personality trait that any of the girls has is being constantly cold. Whoo-hoo. In terms of crazy Mahjong superpowers, two of them are more likely to get specific types of tiles. How exciting.
The best part of the show is when the original cast makes cameo appearances. Not exactly a great selling point.
- Storytelling – D – Not much happens, we don’t even finish the tournament.
- Voice – B – Saki’s usual crazy antics, although this doesn’t apply to the main characters.
- Characters – D – Terrible main characters, but the rest of the cast is mostly interesting.
- Attention Grab – B – It’s lesbian Mahjong.
- Production – C – Not the best animation, but who really cares?
- Overall – D-
Recommendations – Saki, YuruYuri, Bamboo Blade