I’m not sure how to summarize anything useful without spoiling it.
But, I really liked this show! It took me in directions I didn’t expect it to go, and at least for the first half totally betrayed my expectations time after time. It’s a very creative premise and setting despite being in a genre we’ve seen over and over again.
My biggest complaint was with the ending. I felt like it was baselessly optimistic and cheerful. This is probably more a complaint on the state of the world at the moment and the seemingly insurmountable power and ruthlessness of global capitalism than it is anything to do with Deca-Dence.
- Storytelling – A – Took unexpected directions and constantly surprised me.
- Voice – A – Cool setting.
- Characters – B – Pretty interesting!
- Attention Grab – B – Kept my interest.
- Production – B – Looked good. Was surprised how well the combination of the two character types worked.
- Overall – B+
Recommendations – Dennou Coil, Planetes