A group of people share their wounds and become friends.
There’s a lot to like: particularly all the more goofy aspects, like the weirdos in costumes kidnapping people, the general zaniness of the characters (particularly Nico) and the funny faces. It’s fast paced and the love triangle is pretty good, as far as these things go.
It is some pretty over the top drama though. Lots of crying and arguing about who is friends with who. Jesus, why do anime characters worry about this so much. Get over yourselves.
It reminded me a lot of Ano Hana. It’s a similar idea with a group of people becoming / re-becoming friends through some strange gimmick, whether it’s sharing pain or magical loli ghosts. My memory is a bit foggy, but I feel like Ano Hana was the stronger show. The only things Kiznaiver has going for it are the setting, the comedic bits, and an ending that wasn’t a complete embarrassment.
But I did enjoy Kiznaiver. Overall a very strong show.
- Storytelling – B – Entertaining, if not groundbreaking.
- Voice – A – Like the setting, animation and goofy touches.
- Characters – B – One of the show’s stronger points, they were all endearing.
- Attention Grab – B – Kept my attention throughout.
- Production – A – Looks great.
- Overall – B+
Recommendations – Ano Hana, Kokoro Connect