Three teenagers teleport to the magical world of the Little Garden where they play games all day. Games to the death!
Yes, the premise is as ridiculous as it sounds. But it’s actually a pretty good show. It knows exactly how silly it is and just runs with it. For example, Izayoi (a human teenager) fights demon lords bare-handed and kicks their asses. Demon Lords shoot their evil laser death rays at him and he just kicks them right back. Completely ridiculous, but that’s the intention. It’s entertaining and it’s funny if you come at it with the right mindset.
The characters are fun to watch and unique. The fanservice is tasteful. In short, Mondaijitachi is basically what Dog Days would be if Dog Days wasn’t boring.
My main complaints are that the show slows down when it goes into explanations of mythology and politics. The politicking is nowhere near Dog Days levels of inanity, however, and these segments don’t tend to last very long.
- Storytelling – B – Knows how silly it is and accepts it.
- Voice – B – Nothing else quite like this.
- Characters – A – Excellent characters. Unique and not boring.
- Attention Grab – B – Lost some interest when it talked about mythology, i.e. the piper of Hamelin stuff, but otherwise solid entertainment.
- Production – B – Looks fine.
- Overall – B-