This is one of the most horrible movies I have ever watched.
I have been putting it off for at least fifteen years since I knew it would destroy me, but I watched it at Marina’s request for an upcoming podcast episode.
It destroyed me.
Contrary to popular belief, I do have a heart. And this movie punched it over and over again.
What surprised me most is that I had gathered the expectation that this was a war movie. It was not. I mean, it had a war, but the war was not the main issue. The main character didn’t even realize the war was over, because it made no difference to him. This is a movie about poverty and a condemnation of a society that can permit children to starve.
The scene I think will really stick with me is when the main character starts running and cheering as bombers destroy his town since it means he will be able to steal some food to feed his sister while everyone is hiding in the bomb shelter.
What a movie.
- Storytelling – A – Awful..
- Voice – A – I love how you can just hear the derision whenever anyone even mentions the nation or the emperor.
- Characters – A – That fucking aunt had to be my favorite. But her husband and daughter suck just as much.
- Attention Grab – A – I wish I could have torn myself away lol.
- Production – A – Looks great.
- Overall – A
Recommendations – Socialism