An idol becomes an actress. Then murder.
This was a really good movie. Did I enjoy watching it? Hell no. It made me uncomfortable and anxious throughout and was extremely disturbing. Not going to watch it again.
But it was a really good movie and I’m glad I watched it. It did a great job of depicting the blurring line between theater and reality, the mental anguish and confusion these people are experiencing, and it was quite prescient with regards to the Internet. It was very 90s which was amusing to me.
I want to draw attention to the rape scene, which I think a lot of anime could learn from. It was 0% sexy. If an anime needs to have a rape scene (and the vast majority of the time, they do not) this is a better way to do it.
Also, I did not see the twist coming at the end. A very well done movie.
- Storytelling – A – Captures the feelings of terror and confusion perfectly.
- Voice – A – Over twenty years later, haven’t seen anything like it.
- Characters – A – Very well done.
- Attention Grab – A – Kept me glued (in terror).
- Production – A – It’s aged but still looks fine.
- Overall – A-
Recommendations – Paranoia Agent