The student council conspires together in figuring out how to get boys to fall in love with them. They don’t make much progress.
This was one of my favorite shows of the season. Mostly standard tsukkomi / bokke style humor, in which the council president is an idiot who pretends to be lovers with a pillow and Riko brings her back down to reality.
The relationship between the two of them is great on its own. But things get even better when the other club members arrive. Especially Green. Character of the year. She enjoys bullying everyone else, thinks only of money, and is a sadist through and through. Can’t get enough of her.
I often complain when comedies become “serious” at the end, and fail at both being funny and telling a serious story. Love Lab did have a serious story at the end, but it actually did this well so I can’t complain. The seriousness wasn’t some ridiculous over the top thing, just a minor squabble between friends. And the series didn’t suddenly forget to make jokes just because a conflict developed.
- Storytelling – B – Funny, conflict doesn’t override humor.
- Voice – B – Light-hearted and silly.
- Characters – A – Brown and red are mostly useless, but Riko, Maki and Green are great and have some excellent chemistry.
- Attention Grab – B – Kept my interest throughout, even when it became a bit serious at the end.
- Production – B – Probably not the best animated show by any technical standard, but it used a distinctive style consistently throughout which I cam to appreciate.
- Overall – B