Mine Fujiko is a thief. And Lupin is trying to steal her.
There’s nothing in particular I *dislike* about this show. It’s very well made. The animation is particularly superb. It has some good characters too, particularly Mine Fujiko herself. And the slapstick comedy and thievery is amusing as well.
With that said, I just wasn’t drawn into this show for some reason. It took me six months to finish, not due to any extenuating circumstances, but simply due to lack of motivation. I just didn’t really care.
I often have that problem with episodic series. When each episode is self contained, I don’t feel any sort of hook drawing me into the next episode. Comedies are not a problem, since I like to laugh. But in non-comedic, self-contained episodes, I just don’t feel much motivation to go and watch the next episode. I had the same problem with shows like Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, and Mushishi that everyone else loved. I just have no interest.
Towards the end, things did turn into an overarching story. But it was just completely absurd. Brainwashing, cloning, drugs that make people turn into owls… was this really necessary? To top it off, it ended by making you feel sorry for the villain, then having Fujiko draw out her death, emotionally torture her, and fondle her corpse. Um… ok.
- Storytelling – C – Individual stories could be good, but in general, the show’s weakest component.
- Voice – A – Very distinctive style.
- Characters – B – Pretty interesting characters, especially Fujiko and the police. The other lead men were weaker though.
- Attention Grab – C – Took me six months to watch, although individual episodes kept my attention.
- Production – A – Extremely stylish.
- Overall – C+
Recommendations – Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo