So in my quest to learn Japanese I decided to try my hand at translating a manga.
Title: Material Polka
Author: Naru Kobayashi
Summary: Lesbian school girls murder each other with deadly weapons and explode into candy.
It was a lot of work. Not something I am likely to repeat. A big thanks to my friends who helped proofread!
Surprisingly, the actual translation was the easy part. I did have a few difficulties: I wasn’t sure what the president said in one line of her speech, although I think I got the gist of it. It’s hard to decide how to translate Japanese naming conventions. Onomatopoeia were frankly the hardest parts to translate.
Typesetting the words into the images wasn’t too hard either. It’s a bit difficult because Japanese is written vertically and English horizontally, so the bubbles are the wrong shape for English. I ended up having to use some awkward looking dashed words and adjust the font sizes. Still, not too bad.
The hard part was preparing the images. Someone scanned them in, and whatever scanner they used picked up white splotches all over the place. I went through and took these out of most of the solid black areas. In the non-block areas it was too much for me, although I did try with a few of the worst offenders. Also, the scanner picked up all these pixel patterns which just don’t look good. Nothing I could do about it though. There were a few places where the author wrote in Japanese directly on the background without using a text box and I would have to redraw the background to take it out, so I just drew boxes over them.