A poor god does odd jobs to earn some cash together with his worthless sword and his human friend. A combination of the “helping random people” genre and a shinto-based shounen fighting series.
It wasn’t bad. I normally like these types of shows with gods and demons and whatnot. Norgami has a pretty neat setting, a good sense of humor, and for the most part an interesting story. It was never anything great, but solid.
Unfortunately, there’s one part that makes me drop a full letter grade. It’s the arc involving Yukine (the sword). The whole thing is just obnoxious. First of all, Yato (the god) revives this middle school boy from the dead to fight demons for him. He forces the boy to live the life of a homeless, penniless part-time laborer. Kind of a dick move. And then the boy starts robbing stuff. He steals a skateboard. Later he steals the box of donations for the orphans. While moping how nobody understands him. And through all this nobody yells at him. Even though apparently his actions are literally killing Yato. Everything about this arc pissed me off immensely.
- Storytelling – C – Yukkine’s arc was awful… the rest was OK.
- Voice – C – Nothing really stands out. Maybe the completely out of place panty shots in the middle of the most serious scenes.
- Characters – B – But lowered to F during Yukine’s arc.
- Attention Grab – C – Consistently mildly amusing.
- Production – C – I’m not a good judge of animation, but it was pretty common for something to seem off…
- Overall – C
Recommendations – Kamichi, Gintama, FMA Brotherhood (none of these series is much like Noragami, but they each take one of Noragami’s components and execute it infinitely better)