A girl has no friends. She has no one to blame for it but herself.
This show does an excellent job at portraying Tomoko’s failure to make friends and her cycle of despondency. It was consistent, believable and somewhat bleak.
The problem, though, is that the show is boring. Whenever I started an episode, I never felt any enthusiasm whatsoever. Watching Watamote was a chore. We sat through similarly depressing scenarios week after week, with Tomoko the butt of every joke. There were some jokes, but nothing was all that funny. Just kind of sad. The show quickly became tiresome.
So even if the show does an excellent portrayal of Tomoko’s problems, why would I recommend anybody sit down and watch it?
- Storytelling – F – Tiresome to watch, repetitive scenarios and (not very funny) jokes.
- Voice – B – It does have a uniquely depressing vibe.
- Characters – B – Some great characters, particularly Tomoko. But it doesn’t do enough with them…
- Attention Grab – F – Lost my interest.
- Production – B – Looks ok.
- Overall – D-
Recommendations – Welcome to the NHK, Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai, Mysterious Girlfriend X