A sequel to Zettai Karen Children. Kaoru grows up, so Hyoubu is forced to pick up a new girlfriend with psychic powers (shown above).
Despite the fact that the original Zettai Karen Children was basically a lolicon show, I liked it. Enough to sit through 52 episodes. It wasn’t a great show by any stretch of the imagination, but it was solidly entertaining and enjoyable. My favorite character in the show was the “villain” Hyoubu Kyousuke, a freedom fighter for espers, leader of a terrorist group, an all around nice guy, and a lolicon. Somehow his character was presented without contradiction.
So I was pleasantly surprised to learn we were getting a sequel where Hyoubu was the main character. THE UNLIMITED is quite different from its predecessor, in that most of the comedic elements have been removed. Instead, there’s a stronger focus on the action and the motivations of the characters. Like its predecessor, THE UNLIMITED is a solid show. But it’s nothing great. Every episode is entertaining, but in the end, forgettable.
Someone mentioned on Twitter (sorry, I forget who) that THE UNLIMITED is “the most anime anime ever.” I think he was onto something. Psychic powers, lolis, little girls with magic powers, saving the world from a bad guy who brainwashes little girls, rescuing princesses, it’s got it all. Perhaps part of the problem is that the creators never say no. They try to everything, and do it well. But this lack of focus prevents them from making something great.
By the way: you don’t need to have seen the original to watch this, although some of the side characters might make more sense if you have.
- Storytelling – C – Solid, with a few pacing issues, particularly in the middle.
- Voice – D – Nothing really makes this stand out from other anime, which I think is part of the problem.
- Characters – C – Hyoubu and Andy are great, but no one else gets much attention. Except Yugiri who is an awful character. At least the lolis in the original show were interesting, with Yugiri it doesn’t even seem like they’re trying.
- Attention Grab – C – Kept my interest except when Yugiri appeared.
- Production – C – Looks fine.
- Overall – C+
Recommendations – Zettai Karen Children, Darker than Black, Code-E