Assassins kill people.
Meh. I’ve seen worse, but nothing impressed me about the adaptation of Akame ga Kill. I enjoyed the manga immensely, but it didn’t make the transition to animated form very well. In part, I think it’s that the combination of horrific violence coupled with not so subtle humor fared extremely poorly as an anime. Another issue is that the pacing is much too slow. In the manga, things happen extremely quickly, and you can just rapidly page through the battle scenes. In animated form it’s extraordinarily drawn out. I feel like it would have been a better show if they’d had the same amount of content in half the number of episodes.
Also, they killed off all the characters I liked. They murdered best girl three times.
- Storytelling – D – Poor mix of humor and seriousness.
- Voice – B – The silly ultra-violence is the only thing they have going for it.
- Characters – C – Main character’s pretty boring.
- Attention Grab – C – Too slow.
- Production – C – Nothing to write home about.
- Overall – C-