A girl is reincarnated in another world. She dedicates her life to making books because she loves books.
This is an interesting show in that I love watching it, it feels so hopeful and cheerful and happy. Main is cute and passionate about books, and her hard work pays off!
But then afterwards I think about it for a bit… and I’m like…. WTF THIS IS SO MESSED UP!!!!
Just a few of my many questions:
- Is Main really helping the orphans by letting them do child labor for her book making factory?
- Main could make the world a better place with her knowledge, instead she is cashing out to get her books.
- Instead of making books herself, she could sell her other inventions and hire actual employees and donate profits to the orphanage instead of running a child sweatshop. She literally tells these little kids that if they don’t work they won’t eat.
- Did Main’s reincarnation kill the original Main? Or is she possessing her body? Either way it’s pretty fucked up.
- If Main gets together with either Lutz or the chief priest is it pedophilia?
Some of these the show could have benefited from acknowledging, particularly the child labor… those episodes really bothered me. Also just generally Main is a filthy capitalist who clearly has learned nothing from her early life of poverty. She’s cute but she definitely has some character flaws which I’m not sure the creators have even noticed.
- Storytelling – B – It’s a weird style. Very slow and half the time it feels like adults are speaking to a child. I guess because they are. Often feels like a monologue and all the dialog feels very distant, even between family members.
- Voice – A – Unique premise!
- Characters – B – I like them even if they’re mostly way too calm.
- Attention Grab – B – Kept my interest.
- Production – B – Looks fine!
- Overall – B-
Recommendations – Spice and Wolf, Kemono no Souja Erin, Log Horizon