YOU GET TO BURNING!
Akito boards the Nadesico to become a cook, but ends up piloting a giant robot to fight against alien invaders.
Nadesico’s a classic harem comedy. It does quite well on the humor— our heroes are fighting against an alien invasion, but at the same time they’re employees of a company. So we have to navigate layers of bureaucracy to fight the alien invaders (who, as we learn later, are inspired by giant robot anime).
The harem part is good as far as these things go. The only problem is that the main female lead, Yurika, the ship’s captain, is pretty unlikable. I think pretty much everyone who watches this show ends up shipping anybody but Yurika. At the same time, you know that Yurika is inevitable. A modern tragedy.
Still, it’s a fun show. Give it a watch.
- Storytelling – B – Good humor, and good blending of the humor and “serious” moments.
- Voice – B – Bureaucracies and robot anime in space.
- Characters – B – Yurika sucks, but otherwise they’re fine. Nothing great though.
- Attention Grab – A – I marathoned 26 episodes.
- Production – C – Good for its time, has aged okay.
- Overall – B
Recommendations – Irresponsible Captain Tylor, Full Metal Panic, Vandread