Tanaka-kun is lazy.
I’ll quite frequently think an anime looks good from its first episode, only for it to turn out to be a disaster. But it rarely goes the other way, where I completely dismiss an anime from the first episode for it to turn out to be one of my favorites. Tanaka-kun is this exception.
I’ll stand by my opinion that the first episode was pretty boring. But as they introduced new characters, it got better and better. Tanaka is pretty dull— that’s the essential part of his character. But watching him interact with the others is great.
This ended up being easily one of my favorites in the slice of life genre. It’s got great shipping and decent jokes. But mainly it’s the characters. They aren’t complex by any stretch of the imagination, but they are very endearing.
- Storytelling – B – Good pacing for the content, relaxing but still entertaining.
- Voice – A – Love the feel, very peaceful, yet still with excitable characters.
- Characters – A – Best part of the show.
- Attention Grab – B – Excellent with the exception of the first episode.
- Production – A – Looks great, love the unique art style.
- Overall – B+