Chio plays too many video games.
I love the manga for this, which unfortunately led to the anime adaptation being a huge disappointment. It’s not bad, it’s just that the manga is so much better. The visual effects, the timing of the jokes, even the jokes themselves (the sexual content in particular was a lot more gross than I remember from the manga) did not translate well to the anime format in this adaptation. But, it was still funny.
Part of what I really like about this story is the relationship between Chio and Manana. They are such shits to each other. In most anime, “friends” are insufferably nice to each other. That’s not how any of my friendships worked in middle school. We had lots of fun together. Which often involved teasing and messing with each other.
They’re such assholes. I love these kids.
But, my recommendation: read the manga. It’s hilarious.
- Storytelling – D – Really disappointing adaptation.
- Voice – D – Ugh no. It’s one of those adaptations where the manga manages to have a lot more motion than the anime.
- Characters – B – They’re great.
- Attention Grab – B – Kept my attention, although it moved too slow.
- Production – D – Not very good.
- Overall – C+
Recommendations – Nichijou, Fumoffu, Hinamatsuri