Ilya becomes a magical lesbian girl.
Upon hearing of this show, my first reaction was, “Why?”
This show is very much like Carnival Phantasm in that it takes the Type Moon characters and does stupid crap with them. Whereas Carnival Phantasm had a few hilarious moments (Berserkcar) that made the series partially worthwhile, I can’t say the same of PRISM ILYA.
There’s nothing here that hasn’t been done often and done better by other magical girl shows, such as Nanoha. The card collection thing is a stupid gimmick (okay, to be fair that’s a trait shared among the entire genre). The fights are fine but nothing to write home about. The humor consists entirely of Rin making a fool of herself, which is fine initially but later just becomes depressing. The highlight of the show, the relationship between Miu and Ilya, suffers from the fact that Miu is a soulless doll and Ilya is a brainless moeblob.
After watching the entire show, my question remains the same. “Why?”
- Storytelling – D – Nothing memorable. Humor wears thin.
- Voice – C – Weird alternate universe setup.
- Characters – D – Takes the Fate / Stay Night characters and removes everything that made them interesting in the first place.
- Attention Grab – C – Does have good pacing, keeps your interest.
- Production – B – Looks fine.
- Overall – D+
Recommendations – Nanoha, Carnival Phantasm