Cute girls become idols.
As everyone is doubtless aware, I don’t really like idol shows. (Well, except for the fact that AKB0048 is one of my favorite shows of all time.)
Love Live Sunshine is also an idol show in the classical format, so I’m not all that gung-ho about it. But it is one of the best in the genre, mainly because it has some very memorable characters. In this kind of show it’s all about showcasing the quirky personalities of the different girls, and love live sunshine excels at this.
The cast of Aquors make the original love lives seem boring by comparison. I like most of them, but my favorites are Yohane, who has chuunibyou, Ruby, who’s ridiculously shy, and Dia, who’s just plain nuts.
On top of the entertaining characters, the show just generally has a good sense of humor. I laughed while watching this much more than I expected. Heck, I never even expected to watch that all. I don’t think I ever finished the second season of the original show. But Sunshine drew me in. I enjoyed it. Although I still hate idols.
- Storytelling – B – Good humor, good storytelling, just not a story I care about.
- Voice – B – Has this happy hopeful feeling despite everything.
- Characters – B – Great, memorable characters.
- Attention Grab – C – Kept my interest, although the subject matter bores me.
- Production – B – Looks good.
- Overall – C+
Recommendations – AKB0048