A man becomes a hero and builds a harem.
I like fantasy, but this one was pretty generic. A guy builds up an army to defend his town, meets lots of powerful cute girls, yada yada. The problems are the guy doesn’t have much personality, all the girls fall in love with him for no reason, and both the high fantasy and the war tactics are glossed over. The show tries to do all of these elements and, while it isn’t awful at anything (except perhaps the battles), it doesn’t really excel at anything.
One of the worst parts was by far the battles, in which armies were replaced by 3D rendered chessboards. I don’t know what the fuck they were thinking with that. Second worst part was the maid, god was she annoying.
I didn’t think Madan no Ou to Vanadis was that bad while watching it, but I’m trying to think of something good to say about the show and I’m not having much luck. Oh well, it really wasn’t that memorable either way.
- Storytelling – D – Generic, horrible boring battles, stupid harem hijinks.
- Voice – F – Most distinctive feature was the 3D chess battles…
- Characters – F – The second to last episode was hilarious. They killed off the old guy who barely did anything, everyone spent an episode crying. I guarantee not a single person watching gave a crap about his death. Similarly for the rest of the characters, I couldn’t bring myself to care. Blue was best girl but only because she beat people up.
- Attention Grab – C – Well, I did finish it somehow.
- Production – D – Those chessboard battle scenes…
- Overall – D-
Recommendations – Seirei no Moribito, Twelve Kingdoms, High School DxD