Two exorcists are destined to get married to save the world.
It’s a shounen show with a lot of fighting, but I liked this quite a bit! Mainly because the fighting is a big part of it, but not really the main focus. There’s a lot going on with this show:
- Fights with monsters.
- A love triangle evolving into the growth of a couple and starting a family.
- The “meet lots of weirdos” arc, which actually had some pretty good substories.
- The usual shounen friendship / rival thing (except better than usual because the rival murdered everybody and is also the love interests’ brother).
- AWESOME HEAVY METAL MUSICAL EPISODES.
Ok I admit it the last item raised my rating a full letter grade. Every time this girl shows up
you are in for an amazing episode. It would be my dream come true if we could get a spinoff just about her. But, generally, this shows why Sousei no Onmyouji is generally so enjoyable: it tries to tell the main story, but when it comes down to it, the creators don’t mind jumping off the deep end and having a lot of fun. Much of this show is ridiculous: the whole ohage man recurring gag, heavy metal girl, Benio’s stupid sidekick thingy, etc.
And I should mention, great shipping. It takes the time needed to develop the relationship, and it genuinely feels like they and their relationship grow throughout the course of the show.
Overall a solid and enjoyable show.
- Storytelling – B – Good diversity, sense of humor.
- Voice – A – Excellent death metal dance routines.
- Characters – B – Loved the main two, other side characters tend to be interesting.
- Attention Grab – B – I finished 52 episodes of this. Did get a bit tired in the middle.
- Production – B – Looks good.
- Overall – B