Wake up, girls! Get out of the idol business before it’s too late!
Normally I wouldn’t even bother to watch this. Idols are the dumbest things ever. However, then I watched AKB0048, and was introduced to fabulousness, and ultimately, entertainment. I also thought Love Live was okay. So I gave Wake Up Girls a chance.
It takes a different approach from other idol shows in that it reveals the idol industry as the worst hive of scum and villainy the world has ever known. Our heroines’ rival is this monolithic entity that treats girls as cogs in a machine, tosses them out at the drop of the hat, pits them against each other in this vicious environment, and no doubt overworks them and refuses to give them overtime pay (actually it’s unclear if they receive any pay at all). Oh and this entire industry is founded on child labor.
Essentially, Wake Up Girls! is why we need labor unions.
- Storytelling – C – It’s well done, just for the most part, not the sort of story I’m interested in. Many of the middle episodes are more along the lines of character arcs in idolmaster (which I hated).
- Voice – B – Overly cheerful young girls mixed with the suffering of the business world.
- Characters – F – Honestly, I can’t tell any of the girls apart. Except for the one who eats a lot.
- Attention Grab – D – Nodded off in some of the middle episodes.
- Production – B – Looks fine.
- Overall – C-