I should clarify that this is not merely another review, but a review of Another, the show.
Kouichi transfers to a school in the country, where he encounters a girl, Misaki Mei, who wears an eyepatch and is always alone. The two become friends, but the class seems to be hiding something from Kouichi. Soon, students begin to die in a series of increasingly bizarre accidents…
The main problem with Another is that it simply doesn’t know how to tell a horror story. This is especially problematic in the first half. The show has nonstop out of place horror music playing. To increase the tension, they show random shots of discombobulated dolls. Which, as it turns out, have absolutely nothing to do with the story. And aren’t scary at all.
To top it off, the characters die in the most ridiculous ways imaginable, which makes their deaths humorous rather than terrifying. I’m not sure if that’s what the creators were going for. Regardless, it does make the show entertaining. I especially enjoyed the finale where (*spoiler*) the classmates start dropping off like flies.
The mystery itself is decent, although the way it’s told was awful. The lead characters are interesting and do have some personality, although the rest of the class exists merely to get offed in amusing ways. My favorite character was Izumi (shown above throwing a sea cucumber).
- Storytelling – D – Does not know how to tell a horror story.
- Voice – B – It’s certainly “unique.”
- Characters – C – The lead characters are decent, but the rest of the class is just there to get killed.
- Attention Grab – A – Finding entertaining ways to off people certainly succeeded in grabbing my attention.
- Production – B – Looks nice, good backgrounds.
- Overall – C-
Recommendations – Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni, Ghost Hound