A club at school, led by a chuuni, gains superpowers and uses them to do nothing in particular.
This show was mildly amusing at times and quite powerful on occasion. In particular, the episode focusing on Hatoko crying and the episode in which Tomoyo declares she wants to write light novels were rather good. Which made them feel out of place, because the rest of the series was an exercise in tedium. I watched the second to last episode a week ago and I already don’t recall a single thing. Many episodes were obnoxiously boring, such as the ones focusing on the loli. I don’t care. Then there was one episode focusing on an entirely different cast of characters only tangentially relating to the main cast. What’s sad is that these people were much more interesting (well, aside from the two episodes I mentioned previously).
What’s sad is that I could easily imagine this show being much better. Thematically and character-wise it has a good base to work with, what with the ideas of growing up and how to deal with it, and how Tomoyo and Hatoko and the main character all come at it from different angles. But they decided to waste much of the show on stupid inane crap that no one cares about, the day to day minutia of club activity, most of which barely adds to anything the show is trying to say. Sadly I can’t even remember it well enough to explain specifically why it was pointless.
- Storytelling – D – Showed they could tell a good story in a couple episodes, but chose not to for the vast majority of the show.
- Voice – C – Nothing really stands out… Definitely won’t remember this one in a year.
- Characters – C – The three mains are great characters. The rest are useless.
- Attention Grab – D – Quite dull aside from a couple episodes.
- Production – C – Looks fine, but everyone was expecting more.
- Overall – C-
Recommendations – Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai, Kokoro Connect, Hyouka