People fight space wars.
It was a lot better animated than the OVAs, of which I only watched the first episode before I quit. (Although, for modern times, it’s still pretty bad. Especially the fight scenes.)
Overall I still don’t understand why people like this series so much. Maybe it gets better later, but we’re already so far in and I’m losing all of the minimal interest I started with. The central conceit of the show just doesn’t make much sense: that war with horses and infantry is the same as war with space battleships, and this guy can be the best commander by knowing some history from when people fought with horses. I’m sure it doesn’t hurt, but come on… It’s presented as if the guy is a genius (at least I think that’s what they’re going for?) but it more just seems like all his opponents are morons.
It does have a detailed world, and a good deal of thought is put into the relationships between all the different characters. It seems like the politicking could get interesting later on, after the smug old guard on both sides is taken out. But right now it’s fairly basic.
- Storytelling – C – Not the most engaging.
- Voice – C – World does not seem especially imaginative. Exactly like our own but with spaceships basically…
- Characters – B – One of the stronger parts.
- Attention Grab – C – My attention struggled at times.
- Production – C – Not the greatest animation.
- Overall – C
Recommendations – Code Geass, Banner of the Stars