Kirito plays a new immersive MMO on its release day, but is trapped inside. If you die in the game, you die in real life.
I had a lot of fun watching this while I wrote my fanfiction, but if it weren’t for that, I would have hated this show. The first ten episodes are full of pointless and stupid side-stories, and that’s the best part of the show. After that, it turns into some silly romance (the show’s idea of romance is sharing inventory space… no, I am not making this up) and a story of rescuing the damsel in distress who is being raped by tentacle monsters.
The show’s biggest problem, though, is Kirito, the main character. He’s a swordsman all in black who is supposed to be the biggest badass on the planet, because he’s the only one in the game who can wield two swords at once (for no apparent reason, but SAO is a completely fair game). He’s unbelievably full of himself, and everyone loves him for no apparent reason.
Then Kirito and his girlfriend have a daughter who’s even more annoying than him (yes, that’s who he’s humping in the first picture). Next Kirito’s imouto shows up and tries to bang him too. The amount of sexual innuendo in this show is unbelievable.
The final villain (shown above) is even worse than all of these other characters. He kidnaps Kirito’s girlfriend so that he can marry him. He also wants to brainwash people and rule the world or something. Yeah… While he does this, Kirito is busy trying to “rescue” his girlfriend, but he just hits on his sister and other girls all the time. Oh, and for this part of the show everyone is a fairy with elf wings.
The light novels are supposed to be good. I find that really hard to believe.
- Storytelling – F - The story is ridiculous, half the episodes are wasted, and Kirito…
- Voice – F - Nothing stylistically makes it stand out.
- Characters – F - Kirito… worst character ever. Setsuna F. Seiei level terrible. Totally full of himself, supposed to be a badass, self-insert character, but comes across as absolutely pathetic. Imouto and Yui are obnoxious. I would say Asuna is an awful character, but she’s more of an object than a person.
- Attention Grab – B - Couldn’t tear my eyes away, I guess.
- Production – C - Looks fine, although I seem to recall the first episode being way more impressive than the rest of the show.
- Overall – F
Recommendations – .Hack//Sign, Guilty Crown