Most shows of this genre will attempt to have some meaningful, tear-jerking story. This attempt at a story is inevitably pointless and boring. Fortunately, High School DxD avoids this pitfall. If the point of the show is perversion, High School DxD goes all the way with a male lead who isn’t ashamed of himself (although he probably should be):
If you’re going to make a show about a boy with magical powers to strip girls naked, then give him magical powers to take girls’ clothes off and don’t beat around the bush. Never make excuses. Never retreat.
And this is exactly what High School DxD does. Because of this decision, the male lead actually has a personality and desires, which is more than I can say of most harem shows. Plus the show has some pretty good fight scenes and can be somewhat funny due to how it’s so straightforward.
In short, I liked this because both the creators and the main characters have no illusions about exactly what they want:
- Storytelling – B – Sticks to the point.
- Voice – B – Straightforward about the content.
- Characters – C – Honest main character, the rest are stereotypical but have their own little quirks.
- Attention Grab – B – Kept my attention.
- Production – C – Neither great nor terrible.
- Overall – B-
Recommendations – Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari, Ichiban Ushiro no Daimao