Kurokami Medaka, a perfect person, becomes the student council president. Together with her friends she solves problems put before the student council in the suggestion box.
I actually like the manga that this show is based on. But that only made me despise the show all the more when it utterly failed to live up to my expectations.
First of all, the voice acting is terrible. All of the characters sound so fake. And Medaka is the worst. She’s supposed to be some super-GAR, passionate beast. Instead she sounds like an indifferent, whiny little girl. And three quarters of the show is devoted to worshiping this utterly unlikable character.
Second, the small part they animated is the worst, most boring part of the manga. But that doesn’t give the creators of the anime an excuse. It’s just arc after arc of helping random clubs and is utterly pointless. Why didn’t they take some artistic license and breeze through these earlier arcs instead of wasting everyone’s time?
I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth. — Revelation 3:15-16
With all that said, Medaka Box isn’t necessarily bad per se. It has dull characters and it tells a rather simple story, but the story is executed competently.
But that makes Medaka Box all the worse. It doesn’t even try to be a good show. The creators of Medaka Box set out to produce a lukewarm school life anime and succeeded. If it set out to do something different I would have enjoyed it more, even if it turned out horribly. But Medaka Box was designed to be Generic School Life Shounen #1623. What a waste of everyone’s time.
- Storytelling – F – I don’t care about any of these people or their school.
- Voice – F – The voice is that of a poorly produced generic shounen show.
- Characters – F – Medaka is a terrible character, and no one else even has a semblance of a personality. Unless “money-grubbing” is a personality.
- Attention Grab – F – Can’t believe I finished this.
- Production – F – Awful casting for the voice actors (and I usually don’t even notice these things). I didn’t like the color scheme either.
- Overall – F
Recommendations – Read the manga instead (but skip the first part).